back to work



I really didn’t want to go back to work. I didn’t feel up to it. But I needed to go back or go on medical leave. If I went on medical leave, I would get no paycheck and possibly forfeit a bonus check. When I was home business manager, I earned 3% bonus on everything I sold. I also earned $100 or $300 bonus if our department made the month. I asked Tracy how home did in July. She told me we were 28% up! This meant I would earn the $300 bonus. My sales were up so I guessed that I might have another $300 in sales bonus. I didn’t want to give up an $600 by missing work. So I went in today. I should have stayed home.

I am finally feeling almost OK standing and walking for short periods. There is pain in my back but it is manageable. Walking and bending all day work was awful. I thought it would be a slow day but we had over 1000 markdowns in the area in men’s where I have been assigned. Markdowns in men’s is way easier than home but it was still more movement than I was ready for. Our intern, M, was helping from 12:00. I let him scan and I put on the tickets because I was much slower. I had to keep stopping and just breathe through the pain. I couldn’t wait for 1:00 when I could go to lunch. I was hoping that sitting would help but the pain, but it was too bad at that point. When I went back to work, I sat in a chair and put on tickets whenever I could.

I was only scheduled until 5:00. I was ready to leave at 4:30. I talked to J and asked if I could work a shorter shift on Wednesday.


I worked 2-9 on Wednesday. It was much like Tuesday but without the markdowns. My back hurt so much. I started to clean up the denim and sat in a chair while doing it.  I mostly sat the final hour before the store closed. I had to ice my back for about an hour for the pain to subside once I got home. 

Thursday was just as painful and I was glad to leave at 5.


I was feeling better on Friday. I had a job interview in the morning that was probably a waste of time.  But every interview gives me more experience and confidence, right? I also went to the chiropractor for another adjustment.

I worked 2-9 but started feeling pain right away. I wasn’t sure if I would last until 9. Thankfully, the pain didn’t get worse and even felt better at times. It was a slow day filled with tasking. At home, it took several ice packs to calm the pain so I could sleep.


I finally felt some improvement on Saturday. I didn’t need to sit so often and even worked an hour longer than previous days. Good sales also helped my mood.


I was so glad to have today off. Working five days in a row after having almost two weeks off was just too much. I also found out that I could have taken more days off. I should have called HR but believed K when she told me that I could only take one week off. Another associate was told that she only had 4 days of sick time but called HR and found out she had 80 hours. Why does K feel the need to lie?

I napped quite a bit today. And my back hurt less. I only took one naproxen at 6:00 am and at 3:00 pm. The pain is manageable. I hope the improvement continues as I have to work 8 hours tomorrow.