back to work

I have to wear all black. Am I a ninja?

I have to wear all black. Am I a ninja?

I finished my first week of work in 15 years. It was better than I expected and a lot tougher, too.

I got a seasonal job at Macy's working on the recovery team. We put clothes back from the fitting rooms, we straighten up the racks and refold the clothes. I never realized what slobs people can be until last week.

I signed up to work 5 days. Then I found they increased my hours. My first day was 7 hours. My back and feet hurt after 2 hours. I made it through and was glad to have Monday off. It took until Tuesday for my legs to stop hurting. I worked Tuesday and Wednesday and was sore all over again. The work is not difficult but I am not used to being active and on my feet. It is good for me and hopefully the pain will stop soon. 

I worked in juniors and men's and women's. I felt most comfortable in men's clothing. Finding where clothes belong is not too difficult and it is quieter. The male employees work in the men's so I moved back to juniors. I do not know nor understand fashion. I do not recognized the brands. 

The people I work with seem pretty nice. Most are younger, in their early twenties. One older woman has another job and one is returning after a long time at home like me. It is difficult to really talk to anyone when we are meant to keep moving. 

My step count has really jumped. I walk over 5 miles on the days I work. I am grateful that I can wear sneakers. I didn't know that the first day and wore some new Børn shoes that weren't as comfortable. 

I had signed up to work Saturday but then decided to advertise the shift. This means anyone else can pick it up. Someone did and I was glad not to have to work three days in a row. I did end up with just under 30 hours for the week. We are supposed to work twenty hours or more. 

I pack my own meals and snacks. For the 7 hours shifts, we get two fifteen minute paid breaks and one 45 minute (unpaid) meal. We have to clock out for the meal. It is weird to eat at odd hours. (I like my routine.) I try to eat some at each break. I find that I adjusted well enough and am not as hungry at certain times like I was before. 

I had hoped to ride my bike to work but when they extended my hours, I decided not to ride home in the dark. I am still riding in the morning before work. I don't go in until 11 which leaves time. I find I am more productive on the morning before work. Even when I am achy, I find riding makes me feel better. It gets the blood pumping to heal the tired legs, feet and back. I have lost 4 pounds this week.

I cannot keep up with Twitter. I tried the first couple of days. It is just too much work. I stopped trying to visit Bike Forums on the day I work as well. It is a good thing to step back from social networks but I miss it. I really miss being home for the boys. Andy came home on Friday and was upset. Andy told me about it. I asked dad about but he didn't know much. He isn't as perceptive about their moods as I am.